Relationships position will likely be a great proxy getting exposure to sexual activity, and certainly will plus dictate individuals’ and you will couples’ childbearing specifications


Inside the 2014, the largest proportion out-of abortion customers was inside their 20s (60%), followed by those in the 30s (25%-Dining table step one). Adolescents-those individuals young than simply 20-taken into account several% off abortion people, and you may under 4% was basically young than simply 18.

The fresh proportion of abortions accounted for of the kids -by the 32%. In particular, the fresh new proportion taken into account by fifteen–17-year-olds ong 18–19-year-olds stopped by 25%. The brand new 2014 abortion index of 0.4 to your former class implies that these were significantly underrepresented certainly abortion people prior to their image about huge populace of women.

In contrast, females old 20–twenty four was indeed overrepresented of the one thing away from nearly a couple of, getting the high relative abortion rates of decades-teams checked out (step one.9). Abortion indices denied with increasing ages thereafter. Both more youthful and you can more mature kids got a little lower abortion indicator for the 2014 than in 2008; there’s little improvement in the new indices for females aged 20 otherwise old.

Relationship Status

The new distribution out-of abortion clients and abortion indices ranged of the matchmaking status. From the fourteen% out of abortion patients had been partnered, and you can an additional 31% was in fact cohabiting. A slight most just weren’t managing somebody regarding the month they truly became pregnant (46% had never ever hitched and nine% was actually in past times partnered).

The fresh 2014 abortion index from 0.4 having hitched patients suggests that they were significantly underrepresented certainly abortion patients in accordance with every woman out of reproductive decades. Cohabiting female was in fact overrepresented because of the a factor of 2.step 1, definition they’d an enthusiastic abortion price double brand new federal mediocre. The fresh new abortion list to have never ever-hitched, noncohabiting clients was somewhat greater than average (step one.2). This new abortion indicator for the majority of matchmaking statuses remained intact of 2008, apart from you to getting cohabiting girls, hence rejected away from 2.six to dos.step 1.

Competition and Ethnicity

Disparities in the reproductive health effects by race and you will ethnicity are very well noted, 18–20 and can even end up being an important indicator out of systemic traps so you can preventive services. No racial otherwise cultural group constructed the majority of abortion clients into the 2014. Overall, 39% was basically light, 28% black colored, 25% Latina, 6% Far eastern otherwise Pacific Islander, and you will step three% off most other history. The newest racial and you may cultural composition away from clients try quite similar inside the 2008.

White girls was basically somewhat underrepresented among abortion clients for the 2014, that have a keen abortion directory off 0.eight, when you’re black people was indeed dramatically overrepresented, having a close relative abortion rate of just one.nine. Hispanic women have been a little overrepresented certainly abortion patients from inside the 2014 (step one.2).* The abortion list to have Hispanics , there is nothing change in brand new indicator to possess blacks and you will whites.


The fresh new challenging greater part of abortion people inside the 2014 had been created when you look at the the us (84%), as the remaining 16% was produced somewhere else; these types of dimensions had remained steady due to the fact 2008. Of them clients born outside the You, approximately half was indeed Hispanic, 20% Asian, 16% black and you can twelve% light (not shown).

The new relative abortion costs for these two groups was basically proportional to help you the overall society of females regarding reproductive ages from the Joined Claims and you will have been equivalent in both age.

Academic Attainment

Informative wants are often cited because the a conclusion in order to impede childbearing, as many folks desire to complete the education and better position on their own economically just before that have youngsters. 21 Within the 2014, certain nine% away from abortion clients old 20 otherwise more mature had below an effective senior high school training, plus the overwhelming most-91%-got finished out-of senior school; several in the five had a college degree. This new proportion regarding patients old 20 or more mature who’d maybe not graduated from twelfth grade rejected notably along the half a dozen-year period (of several% so you can 9%).